East Boston Immigration Station

Opened in 1920, the East Boston Immigration Station was a federal facility where thousands of immigrants were detained, and in some cases, deported. Located on the East Boston waterfront in Jeffries Point, the station was later used as a prison for enemy aliens during World War II and was finally closed in 1954.¬† Prior to its demolition in 2011, the Boston Landmarks Commission issued this informative study that details¬†the station’s history and significance.


From: Boston Landmarks Commission, City of Boston, “East Boston Immigration Station Study Report” (2010).